Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Finding Family Roots












Four of the eight Kemple brothers and their wife's left last week for a trip to Arizona to visit the towns their grand parents and great grand parents once lived in and now are buried there. The family mostly were miners of the old west and many of the towns are almost ghost towns and the buildings are still there unchanged for over the last 100 years. It truly is like stepping back in time. Richards great grandfather John Kemple the first one to discover silver in Leeds UT is buried in Kingman AZ a good sized city, from there we went to the old Gold Road Mine where the family once mined, the mine is now closed but will start mining now the price of gold is so high.Another town Chloride AZ is very much like the family left it years ago we had a great time looking at all the old buildings and visiting family graves.Oatman AZ was also a very interesting old town with wild donkeys roaming the streets looking for the fresh carrots that the tourists were feeding them.We followed the old route 66 and really enjoyed our time with family.Yes I did buy an antique blue glass dish and a jar of Prickly Pear Catus Jelly not much shopping going on this trip so I saved a few dollars.

7 comments:

The Incredible Bulks said...

You will have to show me the tattoo you decided to get...Just kiddin

The Bell Family said...

Looks like a lot of fun!!!! I hope you didn't have any of that beer hanging by that door! :) Ha Ha Ha

McKoy said...

That must have been an AWESOME experience! I hope we get to come visit you soon! LOVE ya!

Karolynn said...

I love those Kemple boys and girls. You all are such amazing people. I am so glad that you are all my family! Looks like a great trip. I need to get out to Good Springs!

melissa said...

what a great trip. we are missing our grandma "temple!" we are in town in a couple of weeks and we want to stop by. xo

Unknown said...

What a great trip.

Velma said...

Hey, looks like you really had a blast visiting the past! I like all the pics Deanne...still liking your blog, keep it up. Sometime we are going to have to get together huh!? LOL...I had a great time in CA. Love, Velma